Monday, March 8, 2010

Coconut Chocolate Marble Tea Cake

I was working on some designs and my head was not where it was supposed to be. I kept thinking of what I have in my pantry and how much eggs in the fridge. It's baking, again. Remember the Coconut Tea Cake that I had here? I have been playing and tweaking the recipe. This time, I lessen the sugar and oil and added 3 more ingredients. Cocoa, Vanilla & Water which was absent in the first one. So here goes,

baked and sliced
Coconut Chocolate Marble Tea Cake
- by yours  truly:) first made successfully on March 8th, 2010.
Rich & moist without too much guilt, I think:) eat at yr own risk:)


Heat your oven to 325ºF

Plain Batter:

Ingredient 1A:
2 eggs
1/2 can coconut milk ( 200 gm)
1/2 cups sugar ** ( see notes below)
1/4 cup canola oil ** ( see notes below)

Ingredient 1b:
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder

Ingredient 1c:
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tblspn of water

Chocolate Batter:
Ingredient 2a:
2 eggs
1/2 can coconut milk (200 gm)
1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup canola oil

Ingredient 2b:
1 1/4 cups of flour
1/4 cup of cocoa
2 tsp of baking powder

Ingredient 2c:
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tblspn of water (**I find that cocoa seems to produce a bit of a dry cake so adding this would help)

Get ready two separate bowls,  one for the plain batter and the other for the chocolate. Both ingredients are pretty much the same. The only difference is the Cocoa, for chocolate batter.

Mix ingredient A well till nice and smooth but not over mixing in each bowl. Then, add in Ingredient B, then C.

before and after
Making the Marble.

Pour the plain batter one layer, and pour the chocolate batter next and repeat. It will spread flat so don't worry if it looks a bit messy.
I am using 2 loaf pans but you can use 8x8 pan.
Pour in a greased and floured or lined with parchment/grease proof paper.

Bake in 325ºF for about 1 hr or till skewer comes clean.

**NOTE: I have reduced the sugar from the original recipe from  a total of 2 cups to 1 cup. I prefer it less sweet and with the cocoa being 1 cup, it will taste more like dark chocolate. Feel free to add sugar if you like. The same goes to the Canola Oil. Reduced from 1 to half cup. I found it is still moist because of the coconut milk.

*Conversion:
1 all-purpose flour - Cup US = 125 gram - g
1 cup oil = 8 fluid ounces( fl oz)

Happy Baking, Bakers!:) these are really good with plain unsweetened hot tea or coffee.

2 comments:

lisa said...

waa cantik nye mesti sedap

FreezerNinja said...

Terimakasih Lisa. Boleh cuba resipi ni dan boleh bagi tau apa pendapat Lisa. Boleh kurangkan Cocoa kalau tak suka Pahit sangat, tapi masukkan tepung pengganti nya.